1. Definitions – In these Conditions:
“Customer” means the person, firm, or company who contracts for the services of the Carrier.
“Contract” means the contract of carriage between the Customer and the Carrier.
“Consignee” means the person or company to whom the Carrier contracts to deliver the Consignment.
“Consignment” means goods, whether a single item or in bulk or contained in one parcel, package or container, as the case may be or any number of separate items, parcels, packages, or containers sent at one time in one load by or for the Customer to the Consignee from one address to another address.
“Dangerous Goods” means goods set out in the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations (CDG) and the European agreement “Accord European relative au transport international des merchandises dangerousness par route” (ADR), which together regulate the carriage of dangerous goods by road including, explosives, radioactive material, and any other goods presenting a similar hazard.
“Delivery Address” means the address for delivery of the Consignment notified to the Courier at the time of booking.
“Demurrage” means any cost or expense the Carrier suffers as a result of the improper, excessive, or unreasonable detention of any vehicle, trailer, container, or other equipment belonging to or under the control of the Carrier.
“Force Majeure Event” shall have the meaning set out in Condition 14(3)(b).
“In writing” includes, unless otherwise agreed, the transmission of information by electronic, optical or similar means of communication, including, but not limited to, facsimile, electronic mail or electronic data interchange (EDI), provided that the information is readily accessible and durable so as to be usable for subsequent reference.
2. Application of Conditions
(1) These conditions shall:
(a) apply to and be incorporated into the contract between the Customer and the Carrier;
(b) prevail over any inconsistent terms or conditions contained, or referred to, in the Customer’s purchase order, confirmation of the order, acceptance of a quotation or specification, or implied by law, trade custom, practice, or course of dealing.
(2) The Customer’s purchase order, or the Customer’s acceptance of a quotation for services by the Carrier, constitutes an offer by the Customer to purchase the services specified in it on these No offer placed by the Customer shall be accepted by the Carrier other than:
(a) by a written or verbal acknowledgment of the quote issued by the Carrier; or
(b) (if earlier) by the Carrier starting to provide services, when a contract for the supply and purchase of those Services on these Conditions will be established. The Customer’s standard terms and conditions (if any) attached to, enclosed with, or referred to in any purchase order or other document shall not prevail.
3. Bookings, commencement, and duration
(1) Each booking by the Customer shall be submitted by the Customer to the Carrier by telephone or email.
(2) The Carrier shall provide a quotation for the delivery of the Consignment, such a quotation shall be valid for a period of 7 days or such other period as the Carrier may specify.
(3) The Carrier reserves the right to refuse to accept any bookings.
(4) The services supplied under this agreement shall be provided by the Carrier to the Customer from the date of acceptance by the Carrier of the Customer’s offer in accordance with condition 2.2. above.
(5) The services supplied shall continue to be supplied until the Consignment is delivered to the delivery address or the agreement is terminated.
4. Parties and Sub-Contracting
(1) The Customer warrants that he is either the owner of the Consignment or is authorized by such owner to accept these Conditions on such owner’s behalf.
(2) The Carrier, and any other carrier employed by the Carrier, may employ the services of any other carrier for the purpose of fulfilling the Contract in whole or in part and the name of every other such carrier shall be provided to the Customer upon request. The Carrier may at any time assign, mortgage, charge, delegate, declare a trust over, or deal in any other manner with any or all of its rights and obligations under the Contract, to the extent permitted by law.
(3) The Carrier contracts for itself and as agent for its servants and agents and all other carriers referred to in (2) above and such other carriers ‘ servants and agents and every reference in these Conditions to “the Carrier ” shall be deemed to include every other such carrier, servant and agent with the intention that they shall have the benefit of the Contract and collectively and together with the Carrier be under no greater liability to the Customer or any other party than is the Carrier hereunder.
(4) Notwithstanding Condition 2(3) the carriage of any Consignment by rail, sea, inland waterway, or air is arranged by the Carrier as the agent of the Customer to be carried out by a third party and shall be subject to the conditions of the third party rail, shipping, inland waterway or air carrier contracted to carry the Consignment. The Carrier shall be under no liability whatsoever to whomsoever and howsoever arising in respect of such carriage: provided that where the Consignment is carried partly by road and partly by such other means of transport any loss, damage or delay shall be deemed to have occurred while the Consignment was being carried by road unless the contrary is proved by the Carrier.
5. Dangerous Goods
(1) The Carrier shall not be obliged to carry any Dangerous Goods or Consignments.
(2) The Customer is responsible for ascertaining if the contents of any Consignment are Dangerous Goods, are prohibited, or are subject to restrictions or specific requirements either within the UK or the country of destination for international deliveries.
(3) The Customer must not send or attempt to send a Consignment containing any Dangerous Goods, prohibited or restricted goods via the Carrier without disclosing this information to the Carrier.
(4) If the Customer does send or attempt to send Dangerous Goods, prohibited or restricted goods the Customer may be liable to prosecution and shall indemnify and keep indemnified the Carrier and its employees, contractors, subcontractors, and agents, against any loss or damage suffered or liability incurred as a result of such actions.
(5) If a Consignment containing any Dangerous Goods, prohibited or restricted goods is sent by the Customer, the Carrier may deal with the Consignment in its sole and absolute discretion (without incurring any liability whatsoever to the Customer or Recipient) including destroying or otherwise disposing of such Parcel or Consignment in whole or in part or returning the Consignment to the Customer, and shall be entitled to charge the Customer the cost of disposal and all other costs reasonably incurred and additionally the sum of £20, (or such sum as specified by the Carrier on its website) if it chooses to return the Consignment or any part of it.
(6) The Carrier may, acting reasonably, add or remove items from the definition of prohibited goods or restricted goods (and may vary any applicable restrictions) without notice, by making the details of any such additions or deletions available on its website).
(7) The Customer shall be liable to the Carrier its employees, subcontractors, and agents for all loss, damage, or injury arising out of the carriage of Dangerous Goods, prohibited or restricted goods, whether declared as such or not, and all goods not properly packed and duly labeled (or not in compliance with any other specific requirements) to the extent that such loss, damage or injury is caused by the nature of those goods.
(8) Dangerous Goods (prohibited and restricted goods) must be declared by the Customer and if the Carrier agrees to accept them for carriage they must be classified, packed, marked, labeled, and documented in accordance with the statutory regulations for the carriage by road of the substance declared.
(9) Transport Emergency Cards (Tremcards) or information in writing in the manner required by the relevant statutory provisions must be provided by the Customer in respect of each substance and must accompany the Consignment. The Carrier will ensure that the cards are appropriate to the load.
(10) The Carrier reserves the right to open and inspect any Consignment.
(1) The Customer will ensure that the Consignment is properly and safely packed and secure and safe to be carried, stored, and transported.
(2) The Carrier will use all reasonable efforts to ensure Consignments are delivered in accordance with the time notified to the Customer, however, it is agreed that such times are estimates only and time shall not be of the essence for the purpose of this agreement.
(3) When Consignments are to be collected from a Customer’s address the Customer will provide appropriate equipment and labor for loading the Consignment.
(4) Delivery shall be deemed to be completed when the Carrier completes unloading of the Consignment to the Delivery Address, and proof of delivery is obtained and a signature is obtained (“POD “). The driver who delivers the Consignment shall scan the POD and upload photographic evidence as required by the Carrier.
7. Loading and Unloading
(1)Unless the Carrier has agreed in writing to the contrary with the Customer:
(a) The Carrier shall not be under any obligation to provide any plant, power, or labor, other than that carried by the vehicle, required for loading or unloading the Consignment.
(b) The Customer warrants that any special appliances or instructions required for loading or unloading the Consignment which is not carried by the vehicle will be provided by the Customer or on the Customer’s behalf.
(c) The Customer shall ensure that any cranes, forklift trucks, slings, chains, or other equipment used in loading or unloading the vehicle are suitable for that purpose and will indemnify the Carrier against any and all consequences of failure of or unsuitability of such equipment.
(d) The Customer shall ensure that there is adequate access to the loading and the unloading points and that the roadways to and from the public highway are of suitable material and that unloading will take place on good sound hardstanding, where there will be sufficient space to load or unload the vehicle in safety.
(e) The Carrier shall be under no liability whatsoever to the Customer for any damage whatsoever, howsoever caused, if the Carrier is instructed or provided with special appliances to load or unload any Consignment which, in breach of the warranty in (b) above, have not been provided by the Customer or on the Customer’s behalf.
(f) The Carrier shall not be required to provide service beyond the usual place of collection or delivery but if any such service is provided by the Carrier it shall be at the sole risk of the Customer and subject to 7(3) below.
(2) The Customer shall indemnify the Carrier against all claims and demands which could not have been made if such instructions as are referred to in (1)(c) of this Condition and such service as is referred to in (1)(d) of this Condition had not been given.
(3) The Customer shall indemnify the Carrier against all costs, expenses, injuries, losses, liability damages, claims, proceedings, or legal costs which the Carrier may suffer as a result of the provision of assistance with loading or unloading.
(4) The Customer shall indemnify the Carrier against all liability or loss or damage suffered or incurred (including but not limited to damage to the Carrier’s vehicle) as a result of the Carrier’s personnel complying with the instructions of the Customer or the Consignee or their servants or agents.
(5) The Customer shall make available to the Carrier upon request details of any risk assessments which may have been carried out at the collection and/or delivery The responsibility for carrying out such risk assessments shall be that of the Customer and not of the Carrier.
8. Obligations of the Customer
The Customer warrants that:
(1) the Consignment does not and will not cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health; require any official consent or license to handle, possess, deal with, or carry; at any time whilst in the care or control of the Carrier constitute waste (unless the Carrier has been previously advised otherwise); and that the Consignment is of a nature that can be legally transported in the United Kingdom;
(2) it will comply, and will procure that all of its agents, employees, and sub-contractors also comply, with any reasonable regulations of the Carrier relating to the handling, health and safety, and security, of which they are notified or have been notified; and
(3) it will provide the Carrier with such information and materials as the Carrier may reasonably require in order to comply with its obligations under the Contract, and will ensure that such information is complete and accurate in all material respects.
(4) If the Carrier’s performance of any of its obligations under the Contract is prevented, hindered or delayed by any act or omission of the Customer or by any failure by the Customer to perform any relevant obligation (“Customer Default”), then
(a) without limiting or affecting any other right or remedy available to it, the Carrier shall have the right to suspend performance of its obligations until the Customer remedies the Customer Default, and may rely on the Customer Default to relieve it from the performance of any of its obligations in each case to the extent the Customer Default prevents, hinders or delays the Supplier’s performance of any of its obligations;
(b) the Carrier shall not be liable for any costs or losses sustained or incurred by the Customer arising directly or indirectly from the Carrier’s failure to perform or delay in performing any of its obligations as set out in this Condition 8(4); and
(c) the Customer shall on written demand reimburse the Carrier for any costs or losses sustained or incurred by the Carrier arising directly or indirectly from the Customer Default.
9. Consignment Notes and Signed Receipts
(1) The Carrier shall, if so required, sign a document prepared by the sender acknowledging the receipt of the Consignment but no such document shall be evidence of the condition or of the correctness of the declared nature, quantity, or weight of the Consignment at the time it is received by the Carrier and the burden of proving the condition of the Consignment on receipt by the Carrier and that the Consignment was of nature, quantity or weight declared in the relevant document shall rest with the Customer.
(2) The Customer shall, prior to or upon the completion of loading the Consignment, sign and forthwith deliver to the Carrier a consignment note stating:
(a) The Collection address, the Consignee and the Delivery Address;
(b) A complete and accurate description of the nature of the goods within the Consignment and the method of packing;
(c) The number of items, parcels, packages and/or containers in the Consignment;
(d) The gross weight of the goods within the Consignment or their quality otherwise expressed and
(e) Any other information the Carrier may reasonably require.
(1) Unless otherwise agreed expressly between the parties, transit shall commence when the Carrier takes possession of the Consignment whether at the point of collection or at the Carrier’s premises.
(2) Transit shall (unless otherwise previously determined) end when the Consignment is tendered at the Delivery Address provided that;
(a) if no safe and adequate access or no adequate unloading facilities there exist and the Consignment cannot be delivered then transit shall be deemed to end at the expiry of one clear day after notice in writing (or by telephone) of the arrival of the Consignment at the Carrier‘s premises has been sent to the Consignee; and
(b) when for any other reason whatever a Consignment cannot be delivered or when a Consignment is held by the Carrier ‘to await order ‘ or to be ‘kept till called for ‘or upon any like instructions and such instructions are not given or the Consignment is not called for and removed within a reasonable time, then transit shall be deemed to end at the expiry of that reasonable time.
(3) The Customer shall ensure that the Consignment is securely and properly packed and labeled in accordance with any relevant legislation and in such a condition that it is not likely to cause injury or damage to person or property.
(4) The Customer shall ensure that no loss or damage to any of the Carrier’s vehicles or trailers occurs whilst at the collection or delivery premises and shall be liable for any such damage.
(5) The Consignment shall be at the sole risk of the Customer at all times when the Consignment is not in transit.
11. Undelivered or Unclaimed Consignments
(1) When the Carrier is unable to effect delivery the Carrier shall use its reasonable endeavors to notify the Customer and the Consignee of any undelivered or unclaimed Consignment. The Consignment will be removed from the Carrier’s vehicle the next day and stored at a location of the Carrier’s choosing (additional charges may be incurred for storage and charged to the Customer). Unless the Consignment is collected by the Customer or instructions are provided for the return of further delivery (for which there will be an additional charge) within 10 business days of the notice being given to the Customer, the provisions in clause 19 (Lien) will prevail over the Consignment and the Carrier may sell or destroy the Consignment as if it were the original owner. Any charges incurred by the Carrier in selling or destroying the Consignment may be charged to the Customer.
(2) The Carrier shall use its reasonable endeavors to obtain what is in its view a reasonable price for the Consignment and shall use the proceeds of sale to discharge the Carrier’s expenses incurred in relation to the carriage, storage, and sale or disposal of the Consignment. Any remaining amounts will be charged to the Customer and any proceeds will be paid over to the Customer upon its written request, upon which the Carrier shall be discharged from all liability in respect of the Consignment.
12. Carrier’s Charges
(1) The Carrier’s charges shall be payable by the Customer without prejudice to the Carrier’s rights against the Consignee or any other person provided that when any Consignment is consigned ‘carriage forward’ the Customer shall not be required to pay such charges unless the Consignee fails to pay after a reasonable demand has been made by the Carrier for payment thereof.
(2) Charges shall be payable when due without deduction or deferment on account of any claim, counterclaim, or set-off. The Customer shall pay the Carrier within 30 days month-end, date of invoice, and the Carrier shall be entitled, without prejudice to any other right, to charge interest and legal costs on the overdue sum from the due date until payment of the overdue sum, whether before or after judgment. Interest under this clause will accrue each day at the rate prescribed by the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 as amended from time to time.
(3) Unless otherwise agreed with the Customer at the time of the booking, the Carrier shall not be required to obtain a signed or any other type of proof of delivery (including photographic proof) of the Consignment from the Consignee. Where the Carrier does agree at the time of booking to obtain such proof of delivery no payment shall however be withheld by the Customer where the Carrier is unable to provide a proof of delivery unless notification of non-delivery is received by the Carrier no more than 48 hours after the expected time of delivery of the Consignment and the Carrier is subsequently unable to evidence proof of delivery.
(4) The Customer shall pay to the Carrier any storage charges incurred as a result of it exercising its lien in accordance with clause 19 below.
(5) The Customer is entitled to cancel the collection of a Consignment at any time before the agreed collection time. If the Customer cancels the collection less than an hour before the agreed time the Carrier reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee equivalent to 100% of the total agreed charge.
(6) If the Consignment is not ready at the agreed collection time the Carrier reserves the right to charge such fees as notified in the quotation provided, for every 15 minutes or part thereof up until the time the Consignment is ready for loading after the period agreed in the quotation.
(7) If the Consignee has not completed the loading or unloading of a Consignment within 15 minutes of the arrival of the Carrier at either the loading address or the delivery address then the Carrier reserves the right to charge such fees as notified in the quotation provided for every 15 minutes after the agreed period within the quote until the Consignment unloading is complete.
(8) The Carrier‘s charges are subject to adjustment by the Carrier to account for any variation in its costs including (but not limited to) variations in wages, cost of materials, fuel cost, exchange rate fluctuations, alteration of duties, Local Authority rates, National Insurance and other employment costs, VAT and other costs.
(9) In the event that the Carrier provides services in addition to those originally agreed including (without limitation) providing services outside working hours, making deliveries to locations other than the Delivery Address or outside the time at which the Carrier is to collect or deliver the Consignment, the Carrier shall be entitled to be paid by the Customer such additional amount as represents the additional cost incurred together with a management charge (up to £100).
(10) The Customer shall not be entitled to withhold, deduct, or set-off against any amount due to the Carrier any sum which it alleges is due to it from the Carrier.
(11) The Customer is responsible for ensuring that it has paid the appropriate If at any time the Carrier determines that the Customer has not paid the appropriate charges then the Customer shall be liable to the Carrier for the difference between what the Customer initially paid and the amount which the Customer should have paid. The Carrier may at his discretion suspend any account that the Customer has with the Carrier until any unpaid amount is repaid, as well as take any other legal action the Carrier is entitled to in order to recover any unpaid amounts.
(1) The Customer may cancel the order up to 24 hours before and receive a full refund by contacting the Carrier and providing the relevant order number connected to the Consignment.
(2) If an order is canceled within 24 hours of collection, the Carrier will endeavor to cancel the order and issue a refund where possible. If however, the Carrier is unable to cancel delivery without incurring costs, those costs shall be passed on to the Customer and in any case, the Customer shall be unable to cancel the order and shall not be entitled to a refund if the Carrier has collected the Consignment or it has been dropped off/the label has been used.
14. Liability for Loss and Damage
(1) The Customer shall be deemed to have elected to accept the terms set out in sub-clauses (2) and (3) unless, before the transit commences, the Customer has agreed in writing that the Carrier shall be under no liability for loss of, or misdelivery of or damage to or in connection with the Consignment, howsoever or whensoever caused.
(2) Subject to this clause 14, the Carrier shall only be liable for loss or damage to or in connection with the Consignment howsoever or whensoever caused and whether or not caused or contributed to directly or indirectly by any act, omission, neglect, default or other wrongdoing on the part of the Carrier, its employees, contractors, subcontractors or agents if and to the extent that the Carrier has been negligent.
(3) Subject to these Conditions the Carrier shall be liable for:
(a) physical loss, misdelivery of or damage to living creatures, bullion, money, securities, stamps, precious metals, or precious stones comprising the Consignment only if:
(i) the Carrier has specifically agreed in writing to carry any such items; and
(ii) the Customer has agreed in writing to reimburse the Carrier in respect of all additional costs which result from the carriage of the said items; and
(iii) the loss, misdelivery, or damage is occasioned during transit and is proved to be due to the negligence of the Carrier, its employees, contractors, subcontractors, or agents;
(b) physical loss, misdelivery of or damage to any other goods comprising the Consignment unless the same has arisen from a “Force Majeure Event” which shall mean any act(s), event(s), circumstances(s), or cause(s) the occurrence of which is beyond the reasonable control of the Carrier, including but not limited to:
(i) any consequences of war, invasion, the act of a foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war or not), civil war, rebellion, insurrection, terrorist act, military or usurped power or confiscation, requisition, or destruction or damage by or under the order of any government or public or local authority;
(ii) seizure or forfeiture under legal process;
(iii) error, act, omission, misstatement or misrepresentation by the Customer or other owner of the Consignment or by servants or agents of either of them;
(iv) inherent liability to wastage in bulk or weight, faulty design, latent defect or inherent defect, vice or natural deterioration of the Consignment;
(v) any special handling requirements in respect of the Consignment which have not been notified to the Carrier;
(vi) insufficient or improper packing, labeling, or addressing;
(vii) riot, civil commotion, strike, lockout, general or partial stoppage or restraint of labor from whatever cause;
(viii) fire, flood, storm, earthquake, pandemic, or epidemic;
(ix) road congestion, road accidents, delays incurred at any delivery location or lack of delivery instructions from the Customer, vehicle breakdown;
(x) Consignee not taking or accepting delivery within a reasonable time after the Consignment has been tendered.
(4) The Carrier shall not in any circumstances be liable for loss or damage arising after transit is deemed to have ended within the meaning of these conditions, whether or not caused or contributed to directly or indirectly by any act, omission, neglect, default or other wrongdoing on the part of the Carrier, its servants, agents or sub-contractors.
(5) The Carrier shall not be liable for any loss or deterioration of, or damage to, or non-delivery, misdelivery of any property (including the Consignment) or any other claim in any circumstances whatsoever, howsoever caused save to the extent that the same is caused by its wilful default or negligence.
(6) Unless agreed otherwise, the Carrier shall not be obliged to ensure the Consignment, and where it does so, will ensure on the conditions set out by the Road Haulage Association and CMR. The Customer is responsible for insuring against all risks for the full insurable value.
The Carrier shall not in any circumstances be liable in respect of a Consignment where there has been fraud on the part of the Customer or the owner, or the servants or agents of either, in respect of that Consignment, unless the fraud has been contributed to by the complicity of the Carrier or of any servant of the Carrier acting in the course of his employment.
Applies after 30 mins
Short Wheel Base (SWB)
Applies after 30 mins
Medium Wheel Base (MWB
Applies after 30 mins
Long Wheel Base (LWB)
Applies after 30 mins
Extra Long Wheel Base (XLWB)
Applies after 30 mins
Applies after 30 mins
Standard Cancellation Scale (dependent on notice) – Time canceled prior to collection.
|Vehicle type (Small Van to Luton Van)|
|Notice period||Cancelation charge|
|0:00 (driver on site)||100%|
|0:01-0:30||£25 Admin fee|
Rebooks, Returns & Refusals
Any rebooks, returns or redeliveries will be rated in accordance with The Right Couriers costing model.
Congestion: Charged at Actual
ULEZ: Charged at Actual
Small Van to Luton Van £20 per hour